WTA Palerme Infos :
Main draw dates: Monday - Sunday, August 3-9,
2020 Singles Final: Sunday, August 9, NB 7:30pm
Venue: ASD Country Time Club
Status: WTA International event Staging: Tournament’s 31st year
Draw sizes: 32 singles / 16 d
Surface: Red clay / Outdoors
Total prize money: USD $225,500
Tennis Ball: Wilson US Open – Regular Duty
2019  Jill Teichmann (SUI #82)  Kiki Bertens (NED #5) 7-6(3) 6-2
2013  Roberta Vinci (ITA #11) [1/WC] Sara Errani (ITA #6) 6-3 3-6 6-3
2012  Sara Errani (ITA #9)  Barbora Strycova (CZE #71) 6-1 6-3
2011  Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP #39)  Polona Hercog (SLO #37) 6-3 6-2
2010  Kaia Kanepi (EST #38) [1/WC] Flavia Pennetta (ITA #12) 6-4 6-3
The tennis season resumes this week following a five-month break due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with three of the world’s Top 20 heading to Palermo, including last year’s Roland Garros runner-up Marketa Vondrousova
• Palermo first appeared on the WTA calendar back in 1988, with Mary Pierce, Anastasia Myskina, Dinara Safina, Flavia Pennetta, Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci among the players to lift the trophy here down the years.
• Top seed this year is Petra Martic, who opens up against Alison Van Uytvanck, while No.2 seed Vondrousova will face a qualifier in the opening round
• Wildcard Sara Errani has won nine singles titles in her career, the most of any player in the main draw, ahead of No.5 seed Elise Mertens, who owns five. For Errani, seven of her nine titles have come on clay, including twice in Palermo (2008, 2012)
• In total, Errani has won 178 career main draw matches at clay-court tournaments, more than double the number posted by Hercog (86), who is the draw’s second most prolific player on the dirt.
With 178 claycourt wins, Errani leads all active players: All six of Polona Hercog’s six career tour-level finals have come on clay, including title runs at 2011 and 2012 Bastad and 2019 Lugano and a runner-up finish here at Palermo in 2011.
Such is the Slovene’s aptitude on the terre battue, that nine of her 12 semifinal appearances have also been on the surface
• After Errani and Hercog, Laura Siegemund (2016 Bastad, 2017 Stuttgart) and Mertens (2018 Lugano, 2018 Rabat) are the only other players in the main draw to win more than one clay court title.
Finale : Fiona Ferro vs Anett Kontaveit (LET) : 6/2 7/5
Second titre en carrière pour la Française qui a réussi en Sicile une semaine parfaite.
Photo : WTA